So much excitement about the Solar Eclipse! I still remember the solar eclipse in 1979! But this time I will be doing something I didn’t do back then, well at least consciously that is…
Rabbi David and I will be joining hundreds of thousands, perhaps even millions of people around the globe who will be meditating or praying for world peace, love and harmony during the eclipse. What a beautiful way to bless G-d for creating the eclipse! And what a wonderful way to become co-creators with G-d to bring peace to our world! We so hope you and your children will join us with your own meditation or prayer!
Praying for peace is as natural to the Jewish people as breathing. As Rabbi David likes to say, it is ingrained in us. In the traditional liturgy we recite prayers for peace three times daily. We also have many beautiful teachings for peace including aligning ourselves with the Divine Light that is within each one of us. The Hebrew words are “Ner Adonai Nishmat Adam.” “The Light of G-d is my Soul.” Proverbs 20:27
In Hebrew School each week when we practice lighting the Shabbat candles we teach our children to become aware of their Divine Light and to send it to those in need of healing. A favorite always is sending our Light to the animals!
We also often focus on bringing Peace into the world. Here is one variation our children are familiar with that you and your children may wish to try also!
1. Light a candle and set the intention to connect to G-d’s Light to bring peace into the world.
2. Feel your feet firmly on the ground. Pretend you have roots growing from your feet that go down into the earth.
3. Hold up four fingers up and look at them. Four is a sacred number in Judaism.
4. Take a deep breath in to the count of four. Exhale your breath slowly to the count of four. Repeat this round three more times.
5. Think or see the color blue which is the color of Peace.
4 6. Breathe in blue to the count of four. Bring it up through your roots into your heart.
4 7. Exhale the blue to the count of four back down into the earth. Repeat three more rounds.
8. Feel or see this blue Light of Peace in your heart and hands.
9. Say or think the Hebrew word Shalom (Peace) to connect to G-d even more and make the Light stronger.
10. Send or radiate the Blue Light of Peace into the world.
11. Stare at the flame of the candle and see people hugging each other, soldiers returning home, your family members getting along, however you see Peace.
12. Thank G-d for being a co-creator with you to bring Peace into the world!
13. Don’t worry if you didn’t do all the steps exactly so… However you bring Peace into the world is Just Beautiful! Thank you!